Auditions for the 2015-2016 Po-Hi Chorale will take place:
Monday, May 4
Tuesday, May 5
Wednesday, May 6
To schedule an audition, please do the following:
1. Fill out the Audition Information
2. Select a time on the schedule.
The PoHi Chorale has a tradition and reputation for musical excellence in the state of Oklahoma. Members of Chorale are dedicated and uphold these traditions with pride. The Chorale audition is a rigorous process that is crucial to maintain musical excellence. The audition process consists of preparing two songs, sight-reading, major scale, and pitch memory. Detailed information about the audition process is found below.
To sign up for an audition time, you will need access to a computer and the internet. Find Chad Keilman’s homepage on the Ponca City Schools website by “googling” Chad Keilman Ponca City Schools. Once on this page, you will follow the links to schedule your audition and fill out the Audition Information form.
The Audition Procedure:
1. Warm-Up and Range: Auditionees will be vocalized to warm up and assess range.
2. Major Scales: Auditionees will be asked to sing 1 major scale.
3. Prepared Song: Auditionees will sing a prepared song. Click here to download.
4. Sight-Reading: Auditionees will read a sight-reading example in C, F, or G major.
5. Pitch Memory: Auditionees will sing back 3 pitch memory exercises on a neutral syllable.
6. Song of Choice: Auditionees will sing 20-30 seconds of a song of their choice. Any genre.
Audition Rating Rubric:
The following items will be rated on a 10-point scale:
1. Major scales will be assessed based on intonation and ease of shifting through vocal registers.
2. The prepared song will be assessed based on intonation, tone, phrasing, diction, and overall performance.
3. Sight-reading will be assessed based on accuracy of rhythm and pitch. Use of solfege is highly encouraged but not required.
4. Pitch memory will be assessed based on accuracy of recall and intonation.
5. Song of Choice will be assessed based on intonation, tone, phrasing, diction, and overall performance.
6. Overall Tone Quality
7. Overall Intonation
8. Attendance in previous classes
9. Behavior and attitude in previous classes
Audition Attire and Behavior Expectations:
Auditions are a time to show off your best self. This includes more than beautiful singing. Come to your audition dressed appropriately. Business casual attire excludes shorts, pajamas, tennis shoes, and sweatshirts.
It is important to be on-time to your audition to show that you respect and value the time of others. Late singers will not be guaranteed a later audition time.
For no reason should any student enter the audition room at a time other than scheduled. A clock will be provided outside the audition room. Please wait quietly in the hallway until your scheduled time.